“In the process of burning out these confusions, we discover enlightenment. If the process were otherwise, the awakened state of mind would be a product dependent upon cause and effect and therefore liable to dissolution. Anything which is created must, sooner or later, die. If enlightenment were created in such a way, there would always be a possibility of ego reasserting itself, causing a return to the confused state. Enlightenment is permanent because we have not produced it; we have merely discovered it.”
Thirsty for more Michael and Cory mouth stylings? Check out their conversation on Cory’s show.
Musings in this mind meld include –
- Defining Enlightenment
- Digital isolation will soon be considered cruel and unusual punishment
- Our inevitable doom and the crazy ways we cope (or fail to cope) with it
- Spiritual materialism and the pitfalls it leads to
- Is it possible to merge creativity, spirituality and capitalism responsibly?
- Is any amount of materialism healthy, or would we be better off as monks?
- Why Chogyam Trungpa was a bad ass
- Absolutes are absolutely useless
- DON’T CALL ME AN ALIEN!