Professor of philosophy and cognitive science, John Vervaeke enters the mind meld!
John is the creator of a fabulous series of youtube lectures– Awakening From the Meaning Crisis. In it, he dives into everything from philosophy and psychology to mystical experiences.
I’m convinced that somewhere within this sprawling conversation with John there’s a profoundly nutritious philosophical recipe. An ideal Socratic sandwich of sorts.
We owe this psychological satiety to our stupendous guest on this mind meld, Professor John Vervake. I’ve become a big fan of John’s work over the last few months, particularly his Awakening From the Meaning Crisis youtube lectures (be sure to click that link to see why, wonder-dippers!).
This meaty mind meld is sprinkled with all of some of my favorite seasonings–
- What this ‘meaning crisis’ is, why we’re in it, and how to escape it
- Rationality versus empiricism
- The importance of developing inward-facing practices
- Why anamnesis is key
- Why mythological context is incredibly valuable
- The transformative power of psychedelics
- Cognitive science
- Our deep need for new, participatory, neo-socratic learning modalities
- What John sees as the next great challenge after the meaning crisis
Support Third Eye Drops–
- Buying the world’s best underwear by Sheath (use coupon code ‘thirdeyedrops’)
- Crowd-sponsoring the show and getting more podcast content on Patreon
- Leaving us a 5 star review on iTunes (or wherever you listen)